How to let DVLA know you have sold your vehicle

If you are thinking I want to sell my car than it is important that you know the importance of letting DVLA know once it has been sold using your V5C registration certificate.

Both you and your car buyer need to follow the procedure below correctly to make sure you are no longer liable for the vehicle and possible fines.

Telling DVLA if you have your V5C registration certificate

If you have a registration certificate:

  1. Complete section 6 on the V5C.
  2. Sign section 8 on the V5C.
  3. Get the buyer to also sign section 8 on the V5C.
  4. Give the buyer the completed V5C/2 section.
  5. Send the V5C to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA.

Selling to a motor trader

If you sell the vehicle to a motor trader you must:

  1. Complete the V5C/3 section.
  2. Get the details and signature of the motor trader.
  3. Post it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD.
  4. Give the V5C and uncompleted V5C/2 section to the trader.

Don?t rely on anyone else to send the V5C or V5C/3 to DVLA.

To see what counts as a ?motor trader? check the notes on the back of the V5C/3 certificate.

If you don?t have your V5C registration certificate

If you don?t have a V5C registration certificate write to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR giving the:

  • vehicle registration mark
  • make and model
  • exact date of sale
  • name and address of the new keeper
  • your signature

Make sure the new keeper sends DVLA a completed V62 form to apply for a new registration certificate. Otherwise the police could still contact you if they need to make enquiries about the vehicle.

Once DVLA have updated their records you?ll get a letter within 4 weeks confirming that you?re not liable for the vehicle any more.



As previously mentioned, I cannot stress enough the importance of letting DVLA know you have sold your car. It will save you are lot of pain and frustration should for example the new owner of the vehicle was to get a parking fine or the car’s road fund licence expire.