You probably wont guess what the most stolen car in the UK is, we certainly wouldnt have guessed this one….
- Land Rover Defender is UK’s most-stolen car
- German luxury cars make up seven of top-ten most stolen cars in UK
- Average cost of a theft claim is ?3,721.51
The Land Rover Defender is the most stolen car in Britain, according to analysis of more than 2,300 theft claims by online car insurance provider Swiftcover for its 2011/12 Vehicle Theft Index (1).
The first annual theft index from swiftcover.com revealed that, despite being comparatively rare on UK roads, luxury cars such as Land Rovers, Audis and BMWs were disproportionately more likely to be stolen. Nine of the top ten targets were luxury vehicles, despite often having sophisticated security systems. The top three cars, the Land Rover Defender, BMW 7 Series and Audi A5, were given index scores of 4%, 3.35% and 3% respectively based on the likelihood that they would be stolen (2). ?The Ford Focus – the most popular car on the road – came in 46th with an index score of 0.63% and with a score of 1.01%, the Volkswagen Golf ranked 24th.
The average OTR price among the top ten most stolen cars is a staggering ?37,815 (3) with the most valuable car on the list – the Land Rover Range Rover – starting at ?69,995.
Robin Reames, chief claims officer at insurance provider swiftcover.com, said: “Given that luxury vehicles are usually alarmed, well protected and parked in affluent – and ostensibly secure – neighbourhoods, it’s surprising that they’re still so likely to be targeted. This index should give drivers pause for thought: no car is immune from theft, and the best security system in the world won’t protect a car if, as is often the case, the keys are stolen.”
“Often, luxury cars which are stolen are immediately sent abroad where they can be resold or stripped for parts. Cars which are popular internationally – such as the Land Rover range – are easier to sell on, which makes them much more desirable from a thief’s point of view.”
swiftcover.com analysis shows the top ten cars most likely to be targeted by thieves:
2011/12 Theft Index ranking Model rating (2) 1 Land Rover Defender 4.00% 2 BMW 7 Series 3.35% 3 Audi A5 3.00% 4 BMW X5 1.70% 5 Mercedes ML 1.57% 6 Land Rover Range Rover 1.55% 7 Audi TT 1.51% 8 BMW Z4 1.47% 9 Audi A3 1.45% 10 Renault Laguna 1.37%
Reames continued: “Our own, separate analysis has shown a slight drop in car thefts from London – traditionally a theft hotspot – this year, although we’ve also found that theft numbers from the West Midlands and Yorkshire have risen sharply.”
“We hope that the index compels drivers to ensure that their cars and keys are kept secure.”
If your car is at high risk for theft, make a request for Car Insurance Quotes from swiftcover.com which offers a quick online quote service.
A full breakdown of the 2011/12 swiftcover.com Theft Index results is available on request
Notes to Editors –
- Based on analysis of approximately 2,300 claims for theft among the UK vehicles insured by swiftcover.com from 1 February 2011 to 1 February 2012. Figures adjusted to take into account estimated numbers of cars on the road and cars with less than ten instances of theft per year removed.
- Based on the percentage chance that the car would be stolen in a one year period from February 2011 to February 2012. Figures are based on the number of vehicles insured by swiftcover.com and the related theft claims. The most popular car on the road in the UK, the Ford Focus, has an index score of 0.63. A full breakdown of all the cars on record is available on request.
- Based on the lowest OTR prices for all models found on the manufacturers’ websites. The Renault Laguna is no longer in production as of 2012, and was not included in the calculation
If you’ve got Land Rover you are looking to sell (providing its not stolen 🙂 ) you can offer it to our huge network of buyers by entering your registration number on the following page https://www.dealerbid.co.uk/sell-my-land-rover.php